SPINE

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Life and love in Zombieland




I can't help but archive this story: I am a Zombie in Love. I feel like the story is complex at many levels.

I see it implying the following: we are all zombies under capitalism.

The narrator's voice, deadpan, reminds me of the narrator (role played by Edward Norton) of David Fincher's The Fight Club (based on Chuck Palanhuik's novel of the same name): The man is an insomniac cog in the machinery of capitalism; he looks like he is sleep-walking through life, emasculated, not in control of what he is eating or accumulating. He was a zombie till the time, the arrival of his brute alter ego, Tyler Durden, makes him fall into "life". 

The zombie-narrator of I am is more living than the living of our times are. His observations are taut with irony, a sign that he isn't a stereotypical zombie. The story disabuses us of the immaculate misconceptions of the un-dead and the living that we have. 

Issac Marion, the writer, went on to expand the story into a novel. The film Warm Bodies is based on the novel.

Upon reading this story I have a provisional judgment: the real Zombieland isn't all that bad of a country to live in.

No comments :

Post a Comment