SPINE

Friday, July 20, 2012

Imperial Mother

A few years ago I had considered writing a short novel entitled "Imperial Mother."

While I never got around to the writing, I have given deep thought to the title.

At a glance it would seem like the title leads to a story of an uber maternal figure that has an imperial disposition. The word "imperial" connotes domination, power, control, rule, and subordination. Thus a mother who is imperial is all these things combined into one.

Yet, I had never contemplated writing a novel about an imperiously-inclined mother. I had thought of the word "imperial" less as a system that dominates and more as an influence that is molding and shaping. At that time, the category of the mother had popped into my head as the best example of an influence that is "imperial".

All parents, I believe, operate as mini-imperial systems in the lives of their children. The parental hegemony is undeniable. But if you happen to be a daughter, rather than a son, then the parent that you might end up being more hegemonized by is your mother than your father. A father rules by example, teaching you this and that in an effort to make the best out of you, but a mother just inheres in you. A father, you would occasionally emulate, or worship even, but you end up internalizing your mommy.

One day, as adult, you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mental mirror and exclaim in mock-horror, "OMG (optional) I've become my mother!"

So when I had conceived the idea of penning a novel called "Imperial Mother" I had penciled in into the list of characters, daughters and mothers (who are, in turn, daughters of their mothers) who live different lives but end up  "becoming" one another in amusing ways.

"Imperial Mother", still churning in my head as a possibility.

No comments :

Post a Comment