SPINE

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"Fug" has ceded place to "cu&^"

According to linguist Ruth Wajnyrb's dictionary of slangs, Expletive Deleted, dirty talk cements fellowship within the group doing the talking and obscenity enhances one's vivacity.

This I find to be true, as I have been a half-hearted ear witness to many a dirty talk bonding on NYC subways. My experience tells me that Dominican Republican-American kids hailing from the Bronx specialize in this sort of bonding.

Sex, or adolescent sex, is the richest contributor to their slang.

Wajnyrb discusses ethnic variations of verbal filth. The Arabic and Turkish like elaborate and "surrealist" curses: "You father of sixty dogs."

Bosnians tear apart families: "May your mother fart at a school meeting."

Scots and African-Americans hold actual competitions of verbal abuse.

Here is a prize-winning entry:

I hate to talk about your mother, she's a good old soul,
She got a ten-ton pussy and a rubber asshole.

Wjnyrb's words of wisdom: "Fuck" (pronounced as "fug" by American G.I.'s in Norman Mailer's novel The Naked and the Dead) has ceded first place to "cunt."



No comments :

Post a Comment