SPINE

Monday, April 29, 2013

Notes transferred (on David Foster Wallace)

For some time, I've been transferring notes I had hand-written, on to my blog.

To me, this sort of action is like a potent brain-therapy, as I believe, when I write and rewrite, even when the activity of the rewriting is a mere copying of stuff I had written, my brain cells are enlivened.

Some things somebody had said about the novelist David Foster Wallace:

He has an astounding voice that is "hyperarticulate" and "plaintive." He is self-mocking, diffident, overbearing, needy, ironical, almost pathologically self-aware.

Says Wallace of his own writing voice, "The voice is in your own head; intimacy is an errection of the heart, as the importance of bearing witness bumps up against the danger of trivialization and exploitation."

No comments :

Post a Comment