SPINE

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The first story speaks

We have had countless Disney movies, where everything is given a voice, ranging from bugs, to ants to cars and washing machines (I made the last one up, but we could have a Disney animation where washing machines jump around and talk).

What happens when a your first story speaks?

The one, that as the story says, you are about to submit to your MFA class for peer discussion, and to your professor for feedback?

For one, the story begins its story with the lines, "Look at me. Look at me. I am a mess."

It ends with:
Except, wait, no. Don’t touch me. Slide me into the trash. Withdraw me from submission. Avert your gaze. Because, well, look at me. I’m a little cross-eyed and am pretty sure I ate two lunches. I’m your first short story. And I’m a mess.
Peter Kispert writes this innovative monologue in McSweeney's.

No comments :

Post a Comment