SPINE

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Character

Recently I read somewhere that "personality" triumphs over "character" today.

"We’ve moved from a culture of character to a culture of personality. The etymology of the word character is that it’s deeply etched, not changeable in all sorts of circumstances", says James Davison Hunter, in The Death of Character.


I'm not sure what "personality" is, but my guess is that it is something more fickle than "character". It gives us the power to personalize our ideals and put it in words to suit a variety of contexts.

It is no wonder then that I'm unable to write a "bio" of myself when asked to. "Bios" of today are about personalities and not character.

I have a character which I act out everyday, but it can't be form-fitted into a "bio".

No comments :

Post a Comment